Alright, I love TV. Figuring that when I meet St. Peter, sloth will have been my vice, I've fully embraced the teaching ability of the medium. While I have grown out of my MTV days (RW-XVI anyone?) I'm still a TV slut. In other words, I've raised my standards., but I still put out.
In a less sexually metaphorical and more rational sense, I'm fully willing to get completely sucked into a television show, despite my level of 'sophistication' or 'education' or 'snobbery'. There are several reasons for that, primarily that there are some programs which are just damn entertaining. West Wing is a good example. After never having seen any of the first four seasons worth of episodes, I got the tail end of a marathon on Bravo and the law school library added the first three seasons on DVDs to the LPOP collection; the next thing you know, I'm skipping classes to watch West Wing all day. Pathetic? Maybe, but fuck you, you fucking podium troll! Waste of time? Not in the slightest, if worse comes to worse, I will be the best damn high school Gov. teacher in the world.
Another example, Entourage. I'd seen an episode or two of the first season, and liked what I saw. Saw the season premiere of the new (2nd) season and I'm hooked. Now I'm just waiting for one of my close friends to make it rich so I can be the one to talk 'em into buying (no, leasing) a Rolls' Phantom. While I can provide no tangible intellectual value (as might be the case with West Wing), I can say that any complete music tool could convince any music guru that they have style and taste by simply recognizing 3/4ths of the bands on the shows sound track. Incredible shit.
Alright, so the point I originally wanted to make was about this new show yet to Air called Over There. I can't say that I would entrust the FX channel with the task of producing a well written, well directed, thought-provoking and challenging series about the hair on my ass, let alone about the soldiers defending out country in Iraq. At any rate, the cinematography looked reminiscent of Newton Sigel in David Russell's Three Kings, so it may be worth checking out., well at least for the same amount of time I watched the XFL (once).
Saturday, June 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Before you trash F/X, do you watch The Shield?
One of the best TV shows on. Honestly worthy of HBO.
Hey Serious,
I put humor before position on that one. I actually think that the increasing trend of new networks who are investing serious dough into developing new shows could prove to increase the pressure for the entire medium of TV to change.I think miniseries like "Into The West" (which has been promo-ed during the NBA playoffs on TNT almost as much as "The Closer" which I also hear is good), is something we might be seeing more of. With megachannels like HBO starting to put out some good shows, I think channels like FX and Spike can make some good shows.
Of course I'm gonna be skeptical 'til proven otherwise. Maybe Over There will fully sell me.
As for Lost, I keep hearing thats really good, but I missed the first couple of shows and figured I'd wait 'til it came out on DVD, another feature of today and technology that really changes TV watching experience. You can watch the entire Entourage first season in 4 hours, though it is only 8 episodes.
Post a Comment