Monday, December 19, 2005

Fuck You George W Bush, I Own The 1st Amendment, bitch!

So for the first time in my law school carreer, I had time to go over and edit my essays in a final. My outline was ideal for the test and procrastinating friend #3 dropped me some tabs to organize 30 min before it started. Things would not have gone so smooth without tabs on that fucking outline. Perfect in content, trainwreck on organization. Classic me (well except that perfect part). Never before had I used tabs so much.

That being said, given the recent breach on civil liberties in this country I naturally began to worry, while studying, about the things I hold dear which may soon be taken from "my cold dead hands" (as Charlie likes to say.) First, naturally is guns. Since Americans are in such terrible danger from "the evil axis" of...people not white, it is safe to assume that guns are next in line. Naturally when someone threatens our freedom, we must fight fire with fire and revoke the freedoms before they can be taken from us. Now that the 5th amendment has been on life support for a while, enough so that its doctrine is flexible enough to simply be manipulated rather than expressly taken, and the the 4th is done, naturally the 2nd amendment is next (wait...you don't actually count the IIIrd as an actual amendment do you? pssha!).

The gov'ts justificiation for all this pruning of procedure and process has consistently been a paternalistic chorus of "We are in danger, we are protecting the American public." Ya know, with a nice reggae beat behind it. Ok, ok. I'll defer to the compelling gov't interest here. But if you, so help me god, take my guns away in the name of American safety, I'll fucking stab you! (ha...ha...denote sarcasim here to avoid secret gov't wire taps)

If they take our guns, we must all band together to protect whats left. No, not speech, Porn! Like a coffee stain tainting the crisp taste of a glass of water, the administration has left its smell all over the stair-truck-like morass that is our insitution of gov't. They pushed Howard Stern into space. They ensured that no 12 year old boy will ever see nipple at half-time of the super-bowl. Before you know it, no Girls Gone Wild infomercials. We as a society CANNOT STAND FOR THIS! As Brandeis so eloquently reasoned, the First Amendment is a safety-valve, sometimes we as a society need it to release some steam to keep it all functioning right. Thus, if you take our porn Mr. Bush, we will revolt.

You may take my racial dignity. You may take my procedual and substantive due process. You may take my civil liberties. I'll fight you for my guns, but in no manner, shape, or form will you take my porn!

Good luck to all who still have finals (I have one) To everyone else let the wine flow like bullshit arguments.

No comments: