Monday, May 22, 2006

The Rockette

I'm planning to write a comprehensive graduation post sometime this week. But for right now I wanted to quickly address a few things:

First, uber-thanks to Ian, Justin, Brantley, et. al for a tremendous graduation party. After three days of graduation rituals (which included a black suit in 96 deg. heat), a kick-ass party was exactly how I wanted my law school career to close out. Seems like everyone had a great time.

(The OC spoiler alert)

Second, Marissa Cooper was killed in the season finale of the OC which leads me to believe that the OC is dangerously close to jumping the shark (if it hasn't already) and probably has about a season left before it becomes a drag on the network.

Third, Grey's Anatomy is moving to Thursday night and will directly compete with Aaron Sorkin's new dramedy, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, which seems to be one of the most anticipated new shows of the fall. Both will compete with Thursday night primetime champion CSI. Thank god for TiVo.

Fourth, I love baseball. I categorize people based on baseball. Some people are pitchers. Some are designated hitters. Some are catchers. Some are closers. I'm a pitcher person in a lot of ways, but mainly because I can appreciate the beauty of a pitchers dual. Some people can't like baseball unless its a 7-6 game. I think baseball is at its highest when its a 1-0 game. That being said, I have a tremendous amount of respect for great pitchers, more so than great batters. Orel Hershiser was my first sports idol, Sandy Koufax my second. Along the way hurlers like Roy Oswalt, Dontrelle Willis and of course Roger Clemens have been added to my own personal pitching hall of fame -- a personal fraternity of sports figures who's stories of greatness and dominance I will pass down to the next generations of Sinkersinthedirt.

For the last several years, I've closely follow the career of Catherine Leigh Osterman. Since arriving at the University of Texas, she has become the most dominant pitcher in the history of the sport. While I don't admit to have watched many softball games, I do confess to having watched many of Cat's pitching performances. Yesterday, in her quest to win the only trophy that has eluded her -- the National Championship, Cat (pitching for the third straight day) struck out 18 batters and allowed one hit to advance the Longhorns into the super-regional tournament where they will host the 14th ranked Washington Huskies. Most impressive: in her three days of pitching in the first round, Osterman pitched 21 shutout innings, struck out 52 batters, and threw 73% of her 301 pitches for strikes. She's also a lefty, wears my favorite number, and is tall & beautiful. When she leaves Texas, no matter whether she wins her national championship or not, Cat will be one of the two greatest pitchers in the history of the university.

All is done, things have come full circle. Congrats to all the grads. To all those traveling, may you do so safely. To all those studying for the bar, hahahah....(I don't be laughing in the winter so I figured I'd do it while I can).

No comments: