Monday, May 08, 2006

The Music Of Finals

In 5 days I will face one of those "first day's of the rest of your life" experiences. I will have no loan money to lean on, no job lined up, no classes to think about, but still a lot of stuff to do. I originally went to law school because the job market was bad and I had no clue what I wanted to do. Three years later, the job market is in better shape, and I have an inkling of what will drive me (and ideally my bank account). But I can't say that I'm wholly embracing the thought of actually facing the real world. The first thing I'll be doing next Monday is drafting incorporation papers. So I'm pretty much plunging right in.

Between now and then I have a final to study for, which inevitably means procrastinating. Tonight’s topic of digression, finals music.

Wolfmother.
Saw these guys at SXSW and last night at the Parish. I was well into a rolling drunkeness when I saw 'em at SXSW, so I was particularly interested in measuring how much actual musical talent the band actually had. The music they play is far from rocket science - a few dancing riffs over blues power chords. The way I see it, any band (and I mean any) can make one decent album. But longevity requires some serious musical talent.

Wolfmother lead guitarist Andrew Stockdale is clearly the bands musical weak link. But, drummer Myles Heskett and bassist/keyboardist Chris Ross have some serious musical chops. Stockdale can't breakout unique and spontaneous lead riffs, but he recognizes that to really entertain the crowd he's got to do more than regurgitate what’s delivered on the album. From that prospective, the man is a genuine show man. His 'fro only adds to the intrinsic rocker-ness he brings to the stage. With a little luck and spiraling ego, Stockdale could become a serious rock star.

The show in general was good. The red flotilla of Chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling at the Parish were distracting, and the sound started off a little low. But once the band cranked up their amps, they got the rock out. They are a light show away from being a seriously kick ass band to watch live. Would really like to see them at a packed La Zona Rosa next time through town.

Gnarls Barkley.
The duo of DJ Danger Mouse and rapper Cee-Lo create some fresh and unique tracks in their first album "St. Elsewhere" (which has already reached the top of the charts in the UK). Aside from their clear musical talents, these guys have a serious sense of humor. Check out their pictures on their myspace page (linked above). Hoping to the high heavens that they end up on the ACL list (which will officially be released) this Thursday.)

Bruce Springsteen & Pete Seeger
I'm not a big Bruce Springsteen fan. I recognize his impact and talent and whatnot, but I've just never been able to be utterly wowed by him like some of my compatriots. The Seeger sessions haven't done anything to officially change my mind, but I'm definately starting to warm to idea of reevaluating my position.

Sessions basically uses Springsteen raspy, blue collar voice as the mouth piece for a beautiful collection of Americana. Springsteen had no hand in writing any of the 13 songs and is accompanied by 11 talented musicians and a handful of back up singers. The album is precisely produced and crisp to the very end. I can tell this one is gonna get a lot of summertime play in my neck of the woods.

Other things on rotation:
The Pizza Tapes, Treasury of Bluegrass, Best of Otis Redding

Ok, can't procrastinate forever.

No comments: