This is just amazing to me. First, I've always suspected that the extreme religious right was just a bit off their rocker. Well, religion in general I suppose. Maybe not off its rocker, but not exactly genuine. I grew up in a place where religion was clearly a business. Religion was more important that politics where I grew up. You couldn't be cool unless you were part of a youth group. At any rate, this left a bitter taste in my mouth for religion. I'm a big fan of God and am very spiritual, but religion is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I saw a great bumper sticker that said: "Religion: its the reason why the poor don't murder the rich." Like many bumper stickers, this one has some unfortunate complex truth to it.
Second, I'm a big fan of bikers. Maybe it was the "Easy Rider" VHS tape I had as a little kid, or the chill bikers who used to hang at Joe's and listen to blues music with me. Either way, I've always had an unspoken respect for bikers. They live by their own rules, drink like Irish priests, and always have respect for good music. Now they are traveling from funeral to funeral to shield the families of fallen American soliders from the bigotry of religion gone awry (something that, unfortunately, happens more often that not in my humble opinion).
So: Hells Angels = 1, Perverters of God's Word = 0
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment